Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Review: Hot Shot Tools Tourmaline Ceramic Curling Iron

I don't own this picture.  Copyright infringement not intended.

Great curling iron!  This is an Helen of Troy product.  Hot Shot Tools is a brand that I've never heard of until I went to Sally's Beauty Supply store.  There were many other styling tools that I barely knew of.  I actually went there to see if there were any Hot Tools tools because I heard they were best.  The woman there said that any of the tools there would work because they could get really hot.  Still I was reluctent to buy it. 

The next day, after some research, I went back to buy one with little hope that it would work.  I bought a 1 inch sized, although the picture shown above is a 1 1/4 (a more commonly used size).

I got it out and turn it it up to 380 degrees--it goes up to 400--and waited about 15 sec. for it to heat up.*  The reason it heats up so fast is because of the metal used to make the barrel.  Tourmaline and ceramic metals make your hair very shiny and heat up 5x faster than a regular metal curling iron. Reg. metal curling irons give a curl that doesn't last as long as the nicer metals give.  Also both of these metals are better for your hair because they cause less damage to your hair than reg. metal irons. **

Anyways,  about 30 min. to and hr. later I was done.  It looked pretty good. Shiny as expected.  I shook it out and went on with my day.  It did well staying curled (my hair is hard to curl).  I was satified.  The big question was: could it keep a curl for a dance?

It did.  I was so proud.  Some of my friends had their hair curled and it didn't even last 3 hours.  I was pleasently surprised that mine had lasted the whole night (7-11 pm). 

(4.5/5) I wouldn't give it a full out 5 just because of the price (in the $30 range).  If I found one that was cheap and worked just as well as this one, it would be a 5.

~Ally-Cat


*I recommend buying/using a heat protectant spray before using any heating tool.  It protects your hair from the heat (that was self-exclamatory).  Don't use too much of it, especially if you have thick hair, it can weigh your hair down and your curls can fall out faster that way.

**Flat irons you don't have to worry about.  Most flat irons are ceramic.  I don't think I've ever seen one that wasn't at least made of ceramic plates.

No comments:

Post Count

212