Sunday, October 24, 2010

Paranormal Activity 2 Movie Review

(3 1/2 /5)
*Thump* *Thump* *THUMP* .... *BOOM!*

When we hear that sound we all know what that means. Somebody's playing leap frog upstairs again...

No, but really.  Everyone knows that those are the sounds of the demon's next target. 

Let me just say that I never saw the first one.  To be honest, I heard way to many bad things coming from people who had seen it that I was like "no way in hell." So I skipped out. However, this time around, due to special circumstances, I went with a group of friends.

Visual Effects: were pretty good.  I mean, for slamming doors and invisible forces go.  Let's just say it doesn't look too fake.

Plot: Uh, see this a problem for me since I really didn't see PA1.  Though, I did read the plot summary on Wikipedia so its helpful.  Without giving to much away here is an outline of PA2: "After experiencing what they think are a series of "break-ins", a family sets up security cameras around their home, only to realize that the events unfolding before them are more sinister than they seem. " ~IMDb  It's really slow in the beginning; they'd hype you up for something big and then nothing would happen.  So that got really annoying.  There's a few surprises and a lot more is explained like: where Katie is and why she became possessed.
Also, the trailers are kinda misleading.  Many of the scenes they show in the trailers are not in the actual movie.

Characters: I think they did fine.  They really didn't have any lines to follow anyways, since it's usually improvised.  They did a swell job.  Very realistic and believable.

Do I recommend this movie? Hm, not for those who are easily scared--and you know who you are.  I'd say sure, as long as your going with friends.  I found it a lot more fun when I had my buddies to joke around with; it made the mood a lot lighter.  (Though, some people couldn't shut up, so I missed some of the movie because of it.  *cough*Lauren*cough*)
It was a good scary movie.  I was shaking a bit afterwards, and every tiny noise would set off my nerves.  What made it so scary was that it felt like it could happen.  Unlike zombie and creepy creature movies, you know those aren't really and so it makes it less believable.  But the way the movie was like a home video type of thing and all the stuff where you could exactly see the demon was just freaky. 

So yeah, go enjoy yourself.  I'm thinking about drawing a parody and putting it up on DA. What do you think?

Anyways. If you're looking for spoilers, here's a link of me and Hannah talking about it on my journal page.  LINK

~Ally-Cat

PS
If you have any questions, post a comment or ask on formspring.

PSS
What can you notice in the picture that looks strange. (Hint: look at the mirror.)

2 comments:

ЯANdOM ЯAWR said...

Good review, but I don't want to see Paranormal Activity 2 anytime soon. I saw the first movie at a midnight screening and it wasn't scary at all. It was stupid and pathetic. But then again, I don't get scared easily.

Ally-Cat said...

Thanks. Haha, you're the exact opposite of me! Scary movies leave me with the shivers.

Post Count

212