Sunday, October 10, 2010

2010 Homecoming 101: The Look

Well, as promised I'm going to give you a 101 of do and don't for looking great at this year's homecoming. 
*NOTE: This mostly for girls, but I'll throw in some guy stuff too.  ;)*

For the girls!

DO's
  • think formal.  Just don't go with something that looks casual, like a sun dress.  I suggest dresses with embellishment or lace are good.  Long or short, doesn't matter too much.  Though, keep in mind: we want to look beautiful not *ahem* "cheap".
  • wear primer with your makeup and finishing powder.  It'll last longer.
  • bring oil sheets or matte powder.  You're going to sweaty!
  • keep make up simple! No bright blue eyeshadow! Keep it natural. :)
  • make sure the dress fits snuggly but not skin tight.  Girls, I can't say it enough. It's painful to see you buy a dress that is a size small just to look "skinny".  I'm telling you right now, if a guy saw you in a skin tight dress he'd more than likely to say "ew, that looks terrible" than "Wow, she looks stunning."
    • Sorry, the truth hurts, and you should know better. Remember to love your body! Don't resist it.
  • change up your hairstyle.  I think the wavy half up do is a lovely look for this year.  If you're looking for a change here is a look: LINK 
    • If you have curly hair change it to straight. Straight hair? Change it to curly.  This is the time to look amazing and show what wonderful qualities you can show.
  • pick comfortable shoes. Don't torture yourself all night, keep the heel at a comfortable height. Make sure you practice walking in them!
DON'T
  • Don't go overboard. With anything.  Some girls can pull off the prints.  Others can't.  Some can do the strapless like they just walked off the runway, others ... can't.  REMEMBER: if you have bold shoulders that look like this:
(straight, even shoulders that are broad) then you can totally pull of this look. However, those who slouch or have tiny shoulders CAN NOT make this look work.  Also the jewelry.  Again, keep it simple.  Limit the amount of jewelry you where (1 bracelet, 1 ring, 1 necklace).  This gives you a more elegant look.

For the guys!

DO's
  • match your date's clothes.
  • wear a tye. ( I know you hate it, but suck it up. It's only for a couple of hours.)
    • Well I guess you can do this: (*sigh* just remember to wear a blazer and you'll be good. :/ )
    • Also, I suggest black, not gray like this guy.
DON'Ts
  • wear a bunch of cologne.  Please? Just take a shower okay? And if you do where cologne, keep in minimal.

Well, that's all I got. I hope that was helpful. Formspring me if you have questions!

~Ally-Cat

1 comment:

Deidre Natáe said...

I actually did all of these (the "Do's")!! I have wave/curly hair and I did the half-up-half-down thing. I wore a strapless dress to with very comfortable heels ^_^ Totally worked for my first prom ^_^

Post Count

212